Last night Kristen and I went to Kruse & Muer in downtown Rochester. it was the start to a pretty nice date night. Any night where we don’t have the kids is a date night these days!
We had a few funny moments worth mentioning.
- – We thought it was pretty clear that there was a rear entrance. But we still don’t know if that was an entrance because we felt like we walked through the kitchen to get to the hostess desk.
– Since we came in the back door we ended up right in the front of the line to put in our name. She looked at me and said, "As long as you’re only going to be here and hour we can get you in right now." I thought… no problem. Then the very next person asking for a table for 2 were told "30-50 minutes." Kristen and I looked at each other and said… that’s never happened to us before!
– For "a rush table" the server sure wasn’t in a hurry at first. It was about 10 minutes before she came to our table… which was fine because their menu had too many options. I’m a big fan that if you have a specials menu it replaces the regular menu.
– Kristen ordered the Atlantic Salmon and I ordered the Santa Fe Grouper, even though I am pretty sure there aren’t any grouper in New Mexico!
– When our meal came Kristen got a quite large piece of salmon and I got a tiny little fillet of grouper and a big pile of rice… but I could see on our servers tray another order exactly like mine. She looked at me quite puzzled.
– My plate was empty in about 5 minutes. It was good but it went REAL fast. Well, about 2-3 minutes after that the manager comes up to us blushing… "Um sir, somehow we screwed up… here is the rest of your order… sorry about that." And she slid another steaming plate of grouper!
– Then our waitress came over, very apologetic and explained that she had written on our order "step on it" and the chef misread that as "split it."
The best part of this is that this little posh restaurant was so embarrassed about doing this to me and I couldn’t have cared less! I wasn’t going to complain about the small portion because I am too ignorant about posh little restaurants to know how much I should have gotten! I kind of figured that since their other posh restaurant in Rochester, Rochester Chop House, had left us hungry… it must be something posh about small portions!
Of course the best part of dinner was the company. That sounds cheesy but it is true. It was fun for Kristen and I to go out and be alone together.