What started in November ends over the next 3 weekends as the nation turns it’s attention to March Madness.
Upset Alerts for This Weekend
- Pitt over Colorado – only technically an upset by seeding. Pitt is better, more experienced and should handle a Colorado team that shouldn’t be been invited in the first place.
- Stephen F. Austin over VCU – I love VCU and they’ve been hot as of late. But SF Austin hasn’t lost since November, they are looking for some recognition and their speed will catch VCU looking at UCLA.
- Tulsa over UCLA – UCLA over-achieved in the Pac-12 conference tournament to steal the title. But their style of play will not match-up well with Tulsa. Tulsa is hot and there will be more SDSU fans cheering for Tulsa than there will be UCLA fans in Viejas. (Sorry, thems the breaks for playing in our house!)
- New Mexico over Kansas – This is a rematch for the Lobos who are white hot right now. Mix that with an Embiid-less Jayhawks team that has been beatable away from home and I think Cameron Barstow will push Kansas’ bigs all over the court.
- Sweet 16 teams from the South – Florida, Tulsa, Ohio State, New Mexico
Not seeing an upset in this region.
Sweet 16 teams from the East – Virginia, Michigan State, Iowa State, and Nova
- Oklahoma State over Gonzaga – I think on paper this will be an upset. But this has been a down year for the Zags and OK State is just too fast for them.
- Nebraska over Baylor – Tim Myles is a heckuva coach and the country will know his name by Sunday. They are out to prove they run Nebraska.
- Nebraska over Creighton – I’ve said it all year… make Doug McDermitt run and guard someone and force them to pass and they’ll lose. I think Nebraska has seen enough of the 1-man show and they’ll show how a team beats a superstar to advance.
- Sweet 16 teams from the West: Arizona, San Diego State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin
- Xavier over Saint Louis – Watch out for Xavier, they are playing really well. And Saint Louis is playing like a team who hasn’t played a top 100 team in a while.
- Iowa over UMass – I can’t believe the Minutemen advanced… they were terrible down the stretch and lost their into the tourney. Iowa can play and they have something to prove.
- Texas over Michigan – I’ve loved to watch the Wolverine’s run. But their inability to play defense will kill them when they come up against a battle tested, equally athletic Big 12 squad in Texas. Michigan ranks 63rd in the field in defensive scoring percentage and Texas is 12th. That 5% difference will result in about 3-4 buckets that will be the difference.
- Sweet 16 team from the Midwest: Wichita State, Louisville, Duke, and Texas
Who you got? Which upset did I miss?