A Youth Worker’s Hierarchy of Needs

A Youth Worker's Hierarchy of Needs

If you aren’t familiar with Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, this post might not make much sense to you. (Or TV shows like Survivor!)

Question: Did I nail it? What’s missing? What’s wrong? Let me know in the comments.

10 Responses to A Youth Worker’s Hierarchy of Needs

1. Heather Lea Campbell November 5, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Ha! I love this for three reasons. (1) It’s hilarious. (2) It’s true. :) I think that with a little tweaking, it’s actually a pretty good picture of what it looks like to grow in ministry. I definitely can figure out where I am. (3) But, that could be the psychology training/experience in me that loves this :) Maslow is a smart cat.

• adam mclane November 5, 2013 at 10:01 am #

My first edit of this graphic had cocktails in the top box. Like… all just a list of cocktails. :)

2. matvone November 5, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

This is great! Well played sir!

3. brandi November 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Rejection of pizza is a nice touch.

4. Brandon Pachey November 5, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Love it! I think you nailed it!

5. Steve November 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

I noticed you asked for what’s missing/wrong, so I’ll get serious on you here haha. I think you’d agree, the higher tiers can only be reached through relationship with God; it seems like America as a whole is stuck down in the lower three tiers (of Maslow’s original, of course). I’d argue that very few people make it through the fourth tier, and only folks like Elijah and Enoch have reached what can be called the summit. What aren’t we doing right as a nation? as a church? as an individual follower of Christ?
    We can’t reach those upper levels through action (works), since we are dealing with the immaterial – the spiritual. Scripture tells us that it is our faith that “saves” us, that I’d say puts us into those upper levels of actualization. Do we lack faith? Faith in what? That Jesus is the Son of God? That He died for us? I have about as much faith as is possible in those things, but I cannot say with confidence that I have even seen the half of true esteem. Can you?
    I have been struck lately with a sense of emptiness within the church, and within myself. Maybe it’s just me. But Maslow’s hierarchy seems to say the same – why are we not finding ourselves actualized in God? I would appreciate anyone else who cares to comment on this.

6. Stephen Cox November 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

GENIUS!!! This was a hilarious read! Thanks for a great start to my afternoon work/need to not take a nap session!

7. Brian November 8, 2013 at 10:50 am #

NOOOO! I love pizza!

8. Jean December 4, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Brilliant. Actually make me understand my life better… HA!