Last night I had the chance to talk to Brent Myers, an evangelist for Zloop. Zloop is a new social network that is built around two general concepts:
- Security. Your “loops” are private to whom you invite.
- Mimics real life. You can control which loops see which side of you.
If you are looking for a more detailed description, here is Zloop’s description: About zloop
Last night I got an invite and created a few loops. At this point, it’s clear that zloop is in a late Alpha, maybe early Beta testing mode. There are some cool features to this idea and some weaknesses. Here’s what I like/dislike so far.
- General concept is cool. Kind of like a combo to Facebook/Linkedin. I like being able to manage different
- File sharing ability. Yup, attachments are cool.
- Privacy. Cool idea.
- Loops. Like that I can keep relationships separate, as needed.
- Missing some obvious components. Web 2.0 site with no RSS? No ability to search loops? No ability to find friends? Weird.
- No rules. There is no TOS statement… can’t believe it! There’s nothing that stop hate groups or hate loops. Major problem here.
- It is another profile to manage. Who needs that?
If this were something I could install on my servers, run it as my brand, and manage it within a terms of service… this would be an incredible tool for YMX. But it’s not. As cool as it is I really wonder if it will take off as the current version is not significantly better than Facebook. It has potential, it’s worth checking out, but right now… it’s got some “cool factor” to inject.
Don’t take my word for it, try it! Leave a comment and I’ll send you an invite.