In nearby Plymouth, Michigan the local government is discriminating against figure skating. That is, according to some angry moms. The story is that the local government has decided that since hockey pays 300% what figure skating pays for ice time, they are creating more time for ice hockey. [news story]
A couple of thoughts. (Feel free to add your own in the comments)
- It’s not discrimination, it’s economics. I’ve not heard the ice skating parents say a thing about “we’ll pay what hockey pays to keep the program alive.”
- This is hockey town, not figure skating town. The only figure skating legacy Detroit has is Nancy Kerrigan vs. Tonya Harding. (video reminder)
- Why is this even a news story? Clearly the Detroit media must have something more important to cover? I can’t believe that this story is still on the news… who are these parents?
- Let’s state the most obvious solution. Battle it out. Hockey players vs. Figure skating moms. That would be a cool fight.
- Isn’t this really teaching what we all already know? The remote decision makers in the family switch past figure skating as quickly as possible before their wives notice. All of these young figure skaters should just play hockey… thus creating a highly attractive core of women out of Plymouth, Michigan who truly know what men want: Hockey.
I’d love to have your thoughts!